Monday, August 24, 2009

This is from "Jon"

Ha! I was just reminiscing about riding my bike into "the ghetto" when I was a kid. The suburban record stores where I grew up refused to stock records by Black artists. That was in the mid sixties and I was around 13 years old. That was considered an incredibly daring thing to do, and my friends and I were considered crazy by our peers. On my first trip I came back with a 45 of BB King, "The Woman I Love." It was not one of BB's hits. I wish I still had that record. Record stores in Black neighborhoods had fantastic oldies bins with hundreds of 45's at discount prices. White stores only sold the latest top 40 stuff.

This was all in suburban New Jersey, around Paterson and Ridgewood. I wish I still had those records, but do not miss that racist time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment